Learning how to earn extra money is more popular than ever before! Luckily, there are so many different ways to make extra money.
In this post, you’ll learn how to make extra money in 50+ different ways.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a small commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no additional cost to you. Please read my full disclaimer here for more info.50+ Great Ideas to Make More Money Click To Tweet
First, the Benefit of Extra Money
Extra cash allows us to do:
- Save up for a down payment on a house
- Pay off your debt
- Save for retirement
- Travel more
- Have a choice for your lifestyle
- Leave a job you don’t like to pursue something better
- Diversify your income for an unexpected event
- Build an emergency fund
Some people think that making more money means working more. It’s true. More work, more money. But it doesn’t always have to be like that.
How to Make More Money Online
Making money online can be a great option for you if you want to increase your earnings in your spare time.
Time is limited if you already have a full-time job. Remote work or starting an online business is really great option!
Here’s how to make more money online:
- Start a blog – This is the first thing I recommend to anyone interested in learning how to start an online business. The blog is really great platform to make money in various ways. EasyWP: Easiest and Most Affordable Managed WordPress Hosting (I use this!)
- Building a niche website – Katie Goes Platinum is a website for women who want to confidently embrace their naturally gray hair. The website owner is publishing a new post maybe once a month and still making $6k a month. People tend to pay a lot of money for beauty solutions. So, “gray hair” is a very strong niche. If you can find a strong niche like this, you don’t have to write a blog every day to make money from blogging.
- Answer questions online – Share your knowledge, and turn it into money! JustAnswer is a website where you can get paid for answering other people’s questions. Earn money when you answer questions in your field of expertise online. Set your own hours and work anytime, anywhere. According to the JustAnswer website, the average earning is $2,000-$7,000 a month depending on your field of expertise.
- Join an online focus group – Get paid to give feedback on new products with User Interviews.
- Sell a digital product – Create a digital product with Canva and sell it on Payhip. Canva is a free online graphic design tool with 100 pre-designed templates. Payhip is the easiest way to sell digital downloads & memberships. And yes, it’s free.
- Manage social media accounts for businesses – Social media marketing skills are in high demand now. Many businesses need help with finding social media platforms that fit their business needs. If you’ve already known how to use social media for small businesses, sell the knowledge.
- Start freelance writing – This is also popular online side hustle! Here are 38 Places to Find Freelance Writing Jobs for Newbies to Pros.
- Start a virtual assistant business – Virtual assistant may include social media management, proofreading, freelance writing, scheduling appointments, email marketing, creating graphics, booking, and more. Basically, you get paid to do any task that needs to be done for someone’s business. Some people create portfolio websites to showcase their works and services to get clients.
- Build a course and teach others what you know – Online courses are becoming popular more and more.
- Start a YouTube channel – I’m sure you know that a lot of people make some money from YouTube.
- Start a TikTok – People are currently making tons of money on TikTok. For example, Chipotle and Target use TikTok to find workers in the tight job market. In other words, if you are good at TikTok then big companies will hire you as a contractor or even a full-time employee. Yes, social media is not a teenager’s playground. Social media is a marketing skill.
- Affiliate marketing – Affiliate marketing is a popular passive income stream for bloggers and content creators. Here is How to Make Money with Affiliate Marketing.
- Start influencer marketing – Have you ever heard of influencers? It’s like an independent advertiser for businesses! Here is a list of influencer networks to join and make some money.
- Get Paid to Tweet – Similar to influencer marketing, sponsors will pay for your tweet. Join some influencer networks here, and find the sponsors.
- Dropshipping business – These days, I’m not making a lot of money with dropshipping. But I made good money with dropshipping before. Here is How I made 14K+ Net Income from Dropshipping.
- Get paid to shop – When you buy something online, don’t forget to use a cashback website like Mr.Rebates and Rakuten. Many a little makes a mickle. Even though each cashback seems a small amount, it will eventually become pretty good cash.
- Podcasting – Podcast hosts can earn money through affiliate marketing, donations, and selling their own merchandise. It’s like blogging, Podcast is just a tool to make money.
- Personal training – People are always looking to get in shape! Remote personal training is popular now. If you have a passion for fitness, this could be the perfect side hustle for you.
- Email marketing specialist – Email Marketer creates original content that will engage customers through email. The salaries of email marketing specialists in the US range from $29,050 to $120,460, with a median salary of $62,150. There are tons of software to help this email marketing.
- Sell commercial-use music – Are you a good musician? You can make extra income passively by selling stock music online. Stock music is used in YouTube videos, commercials, podcast intros, and many other places. Here is the list of stock music websites.
- Write an eBook and sell it on Amazon – Approximately, 200,000 authors are selling eBooks on Amazon. 5,000 or less than 3% consistently earn $10,000+ a year. The chances of success may be low, but if you succeed, it can be a great income.
Start a Business
Start a business and hire yourself. Your own business can be a side or full-time. It’s really up to you because you are the boss.
Below are some business ideas that you may want to start:
22. Become a freelancer – Freelancing is a great option for supplemental income, side income, and of course full-time income. There are tons of information about freelancing careers that you can start with a small investment, but not a lot of information about how to become a freelancer. So, I’ve created a blog post “How to Become Work at Home Freelancer.” If you are interested in becoming a freelancer, this article may be helpful to you.
23. Freelance graphic designer – If you have a bit of creativity, you don’t need a degree. You just need to learn the foundations of graphic design on your own. Also, most online classes for graphic design are much cheaper than a college degree. If you’re not interested in going to school or taking online classes, here are steps to teach yourself graphic design.
24. Freelance UX designer/product designer – UX designers conduct user research, design, create prototypes, test with users, and sell/present the design solution to the business. UX professionals are in global demand. Google released three new Google Career Certificates, and one of them was user experience (UX) design. A lot of graphic designers changing their careers to UX designers too.
25. Freelance software developer – You don’t necessarily need a degree to become a software developer. Here is How to Become a Software Developer Without CS Degree.
26. Become a Virtual Bookkeeper – Any type and size of business need a bookkeeper. And, it is a time-consuming task that many business owners would rather outsource.
27. Organize other people’s homes – Do you love making spaces clean and tidy? Dani, the home organizer brought in $20,000 in under 2 years on Fiverr. Her packages include PDF inspirations, 2D and 3D plans, a design board with wall colors, furniture, and decor items, and a video walkthrough for 3D projects and narration from her. (Starting from $295)
28. Selling on eBay or Poshmark – Reselling is real. Here are interesting things sold on eBay: boomboxes, calculators, luxury brand empty boxes, toilet paper tissue rolls, game consoles, etc. Yes, some people are buying these for a pretty good price. Poshmark is more fashion side. These are brands that sell well on Poshmark: Lululemon, Madewell, Free People, Kate Spade, Nike, Off-White, Levi’s, and Eloquii.
29. Selling on Etsy – Etsy is the world’s largest marketplace for unique hand-crafted goods as well as digital products. You can make money by selling handmade items on Etsy.
30. Gig works – The gig economy job is on-demand labor for money between individuals or companies via digital platforms. This on-demand job is referred to as “Gigs.” Most of the “gigs” are short-term and contract-based work.
31. Food or grocery delivery service – Buying groceries and delivering them to customers. The typical Instacart Personal Shopper salary is $14 per hour. It’s not so bad part-time income.
32. Wedding coordinator service – A wedding is one of the events most people spend on their money. If you have great organizational skills, it’s worth a try.
33. Sell old phones and electronics – I used to use a trade-in service provided by brands. It wasn’t a good deal at all, so I started to sell old phones and electronics by myself. It’s much better money than a trade-in service. For example, Surface: Best Buy trade-in was $20 while selling it myself was $100.
Make Money with Money
Did you know that your money or your asset can work for you?
Here are some ideas to make your money or your asset work for you:
34. Investing – There are different types of investments such as stocks, bonds, ETFs, CDs, and so on. All investment product has different risks and returns. Risk refers to the degree of potential financial loss inherent in an investment decision in finance. Here is how to understand investment risk and how to minimize financial damage.
35. Dividend investing – Investing is not only for capital gain. You can also expect income gain. If you create a monthly dividend portfolio, you’ll have some extra cash every month.
36. Lazy Investing – Bogleheads Investment Philosophy follows simple investment principles to aim millionaire. It is highly recommended for beginners.
37. Traditional IRA/Roth IRA – You’ve probably heard of IRAs before. It is an individual retirement account. Contributing to your IRA maybe can help you to achieve financial independence faster.
38. Open a High-Interest Savings Account – Don’t underestimate the power of compound interest.
39. Joining your employer’s 401(k) – It’s never too early to plan for retirement! Contact your company’s HR representative to see how you can start a 401(k).
40. Rental Property – If you want a more hands-on approach to real estate investing, you can buy a property and rent it out to make some passive income.
Rent Out your Belongings
In the age of the sharing economy, “rent out” is a huge marketplace.
41. Renting out your stuff – Rent out your personal vehicle with Turo.
42. Renting out your property – Rent out your house, apartment, or room with Airbnb.
43. RV sharing – Rent out your RV with RVShare.
44. Boat sharing – Rent out your boat with Boatsetter.
45. Renting out your attic or garage – The Neighbor is a self-storage platform. It will connect people who need storage and people who have extra space. If you’ve got some extra space in your garage or elsewhere, list your space here to fill it and get paid.
46. Advertise on Your Car – Earn up to $500 a month by putting an advertising “wrap” to your car with Wrapify.
How to Make More Money at the Job
If you already have a full-time job, here are some ideas to increase your income from your current job:
47. Get a raise – Asking for a raise may be the best way to earn extra money at your current job! Many people never ask for a raise. I know it’s not easy, but if you don’t ask it will never happen.
48. Work overtime – Some businesses are offering overtime right now. You may be able to take advantage of it.
49. Try for a promotion – Some companies can only pay you for the job position you currently have. Promotion means different and/or additional job duties. But it may result in an increase in pay.
50. Maximize Credit Card Benefits – Credit cards can provide an array of benefits! For example, Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express Card provides an annual companion ticket every year. It can use on certain round-trip tickets within the contiguous United States. The first ticket must pay full price but the second ticket will be free + tax. We only pay $325.60 for two-way flights to Las Vegas, for 2 adults. Maximizing your credit card benefit will save a lot of money.
There are many different things that you can do to make extra money! Are you interested in any of the online business ideas above? If so, don’t forget to check All-in-One Learning Resources to Start and Grow your Online Business and The Ultimate List of Tools & Resources for Online Business. These lists will help you for sure.