Planning is a process of setting goals and developing strategies.
It’s like a map, direction to your goals. Planning prevents you to get lost in your dream journey.
For example, Shohei Ohtani, a Japanese professional baseball pitcher and designated hitter for the Los Angeles Angels of Major League Baseball, visualized his baseball success using Mandala Chart.
He is a successful baseball player in both Japan and the US. Of course, he has talent and luck. But he also plans his professional career when he was a high school student.
In this post, I’ll introduce Mandala Chart that Shohei Ohtani visualized his dream career. This method is very helpful for anyone who wants to achieve their goals.How to Create an Effective Business Plan Click To Tweet
First, what is Mandala Chart?
“The Mandala Chart is a lens through which you can see the big picture, the small detail, and the connections all at once.” (REED, W)
It a personal growth technique created by Takashi Harada, a former middle-school teacher in Japan. How does it work?
It’s a 9-by-9 grid to identify eight key areas you need to develop. From there, narrow your focus and pinpointing eight specific ways to achieve the key areas. (Diamond, J)
That’s all. Sound very simple but really powerful ways to visualize your goals. Let’s try it together!
How to use Mandala Chart?
First, create a 3-by-3 matrix diagram and write down your goal in the middle square. My goal is to make an extra $1000 a month, so I’ll write “$1000 a month” in the middle square.
Next, fill the remaining squares with small tasks that will help you to achieve the main goal.
For instance, I will:
- make $100 a month by selling digital files
- make $300 a month by dropshipping
- make $100 a month by affiliate marketing
- make $100 a month by cashback apps
- make $100 a month by display ads
- make $100 a month by sponsored posts
- make $100 a month by Poshmark
- make $100 a month by eBay
to make $1000 a month.
Last step! Create another 3-by-3 matrix diagram and pinpointing eight specific ways to achieve the key areas. For example, to make $100 a month by selling digital files:
- I need to research demand
- I need to pick 3 digital files
- I need to create digital files
- I need to find platform to sell them
- I need to create images to sell (ads)
- I need to make leading page
- I need to write good description about products
- I need to make marketing strategies
Repeat the same process to the other 7 areas.
Once all the 9-by-9 grid is filled, it looks like a lot of things to do. But don’t get overwhelmed. Complete it one by one. The only way you’re going to accomplish something really big is by taking small steps every day!
Planning is one of the most powerful and effective ways to achieve your goals. Mandala Chart is a great method to do it.
- REED, W. (n.d.). Flexible focus #1: Inside the mandala chart – a zoom lens for your life. Retrieved May 13, 2020, from https://www.activegarage.com/flexible-focus-1-inside-the-mandala-chart-a-zoom-lens-for-your-life#:~:text=The%20Mandala%20Chart%20is%20a,the%20connections%20all%20at%20once.&text=The%20Mandala%20Chart%20is%20a%20tool%20for%20applying%20practical%20wisdom,of%20modern%20business%20and%20living.
- Diamond, J. (2018, September 11). How Shohei Ohtani Visualized his Baseball Success. Retrieved April 14, 2021, from https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-shohei-ohtani-visualized-his-baseball-success-1536680077#:~:text=Jared%20Diamond,-Biography&text=As%20a%20sophomore%20at%20Hanamaki,by%20the%20time%20he%20graduated.