With the launch of Friendster in 2002 and MySpace in 2003 (my first ever social media account), social media became mainstream. It changed how people interact and communicate as well as marketing strategies in the business.
However, social media can be overwhelming if you don’t have the proper knowledge or tools. Do you know how to use social media for your business?
If you’re a small business owner and not quite sure which social media platforms are right for your business, you are in the right place!
In this article, you’ll learn different types of social media platforms and how to use them.How to Use Social Media for Your Small Business Click To Tweet
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a small commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no additional cost to you. Please read my full disclaimer here for more info.
Different Types of Social Media Networks
Marketing through social media is one of the most cost-effective strategies that small businesses can use to reach their target audience. (because it’s free) According to Statista, 70% of the U.S. population has at least one social media profile. How many social media accounts do you have?
These are different types of social media:
- Facebook – the largest social media platform in the world. It allows users to share pictures, music, videos, and articles, as well as their own thoughts and opinions with people they like.
- Twitter – is a microblogging system that allows you to send and receive short posts called tweets. Tweets can be up to 280 characters long and can include links, photos, and videos.
- LinkedIn – is a social network that focuses on professional networking and career development. You can use LinkedIn to display your resume, search for jobs, and enhance your professional reputation by posting updates and interacting with other people.
- Pinterest – is a social network that allows users to visually share, and discover new interests by posting images or videos to their boards.
- Instagram – is a photo and video-sharing social networking service owned by Facebook, Inc.
- YouTube – is a video-sharing service where users can watch, like, share, comment, and upload their own videos.
TikTok, Snapchat, Tumblr are also famous social media networks, but I will focus on these 6 platforms.
How to Use Social Media For Your Business?
Do not just blindly start posting content on social media without some sort of reason. Before you do anything else, you need to identify your marketing goals and understand what you can do with social media.
These are some goals that small businesses are trying to accomplish with their social media marketing strategies:
- Spread information like products, events, campaigns to generate new leads or increase conversions/sales.
- Create a community and improve customer service and communication.
- Connect with your customers or potential customers to build brand awareness.
- Personal research. Learn about competitors, target audience, and community. It’s always important to keep an eye on competitors!
Which one is most important in your business? Spread information? Create a community? Use social media platforms that meet your business need.