Here are step-by-step guide to building a WordPress site!
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a small commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no additional cost to you. Please read my full disclaimer here for more info.
#1. Find a domain name
Check domain name availability!
A domain name is an address where Internet users can access your site. For example, this site’s domain name is “happierfreelancing.com.” On average, domain names cost from $0.99 up to $12 per month. I paid $13.16 a year, $1.10 a month for my domain name.
#2. Sign up for Web Hosting
Here is a basic consideration of choosing WordPress hosting services:
- Shared vs Managed
- FREE Domain Name
- Suitable Number of Monthly Visits
- Disk Space
- FREE Positive SSL
Based on these considerations, please check How to Choose the Best WordPress Hosting in 2021 and pick one of the hosting services that fit your need.
- How to Make an Online Store with WordPress (WooCommerce)
- Easiest and Most Affordable Managed WordPress Hosting
- How to Start a WordPress Blog on Bluehost
#3 Get WordPress Installed
Depend on the web hosting you choose, the install process will be different. However, most web hosting provider offers a one-click install option. It’s super easy.
#4. Pick WordPress theme
WordPress offers tons of free themes! To add a new theme, log into your WordPress account. Under the Appearance, click Themes. Then, select Add New.
You can choose free themes from the list or search keywords to narrow down your preference. You could also buy themes from a website like Creative Market. (go web themes to browse WordPress themes)
#5. Get some WordPress Plugins
WordPress plugins are like apps on your smartphone. For example, if you want to add photo editing features on your smartphone, you can download the camera or photo editing apps. WordPress plugins are the same!
Here are some popular plugins & how-to tutorials:
- Form Builder – add electronic signature forms, file upload forms, multi-page forms, order forms, survey forms, calculator forms, and more.
- Google Analytics – identify site visitor’s geographic location, device breakdown, top posts/pages, and more. These are very helpful for boost your eCommerce sale.
- Lead Generation – generate traffic, boost conversion, increase sales as well as grow your email list. You can also add a countdown timer, coupon popup, announcement bar, gamification to your WordPress site easily.
- Accept Payments – accepting online payments and donations in WordPress is very easy with payment plugins. (Paypal, Stripe, Credit Cards)
#6 Start Creating Content
To create your first blog post, go to Posts. Under the Posts, select Add New. If you don’t know what to write about, check 80 Blog Post Ideas for Beauty Blogs or 100 Blog Post Ideas for Personal Finance Blogs (:
WordPress hosting and plugins offer huge discounts once in while. Follow my Twitter or subscribe newsletter to get 75-90% off deals.